Since the media has decided to write about how we live a lavish life in the military and it seems like military spouses are struggling to see how it’s possible, I thought I’d help them do that. This is after all a blog about tips and resources for military life, right? And since I’ve lived in some pretty cool places, I would call myself an “expert”.
1. Hit up your local Commissary and buy all 15 types of ketchup. What? There are 15? Yes, there are! It says so right here in this article about Commissary closures. So get those pantries stocked up!
2. Live far from family with a deployed spouse. Who needs them anyway! We are strong, independent people and it just means more quality time with your kids. And the spouse? Hello, bed to yourself!
3. Have a baby while alone in a new duty station. Military spouses don’t need help! We love doing everything on our own. That’s why we married a man in the military, right? Being in a new duty station with an infant just adds to excitement.
4. Never pass up government (PPV) housing! Everything is taken care of for you! Everything is FREE!! Plus, you get to have the best nosy neighbors you could ever dream of!
5. Use base military medical clinics. They take such good care of you. Short waits and quiet waiting rooms. Oh and don’t forget the pharmacies! Going to a local one means waiting for maybe 5 mins while the scripted is filled. Not at the one on base! They always have it ready and waiting for you!
Well, there you have it! Those are just 5 tips to help get you on the path to a lavish military life. I know because I’m living one in Hawaii. I don’t need my husband or family anyway! I’ve got beautiful beaches and stunning sunsets!
I think I’ll go to the Commissary now… I’ve only got one type of ketchup and I’m feeling a little blue about seeing a roach on my kitchen counter.