Ironically, when I started blogging and decided to post on Fridays I didn’t realize that I would be posting on Military Spouse Appreciation Day. So, this week is in honor of all the spouses both MEN and WOMEN who stay behind and fulfill all the roles on the homefront…. mother, father, chef, taxi driver, banker, housekeeper, friend and confidant. We marry these men and women in uniform and willing take on this sacrifice and ask nothing in return (well, except maybe our benefits). We are what some call “the silent ranks”; quietly waving good-bye with smiles that hide our real feelings of fear and sadness of the many days, months and sometimes years that lie ahead. But, why do we make this commitment not only to the person we love but to their chosen profession? That is a question that can only be answered by the one being asked. Here are my reasons:
1. I love this lifestyle. Strangely, I like moving frequently. It gives me the chance to clean out the old and anxiously plan the new. I like knowing I have friends all over the globe while knowing I have a stable environment back home with family. We are unique in our lifestyle and I enjoy telling others about it.
2. I am raising strong and resilient children. I truly feel as though our boys will grow up with life experiences that will give them advantages later in life. To endure and take on any challenge they are given and make the best of any bad situation.
3. I don’t worry about doctor bills. Sure, there are the usually complaints about waiting at the doctor office or TriCare screwed up the referral but at the end of the day…. we paid no money. I like having the piece of mind that my son can break both arms (true story for another blog) and we didn’t have to worry about the bills is priceless.
4. Traveling! Because of the Navy I have been to four countries and many, many states through traveling either by choice or by orders. My family has been lucky to experience places most people never will and we aren’t even done yet!
5. He is my best friend. From the moment I first laid eyes on my husband I knew he was different. I tell him everything, my one true confidant. I will do anything for him, even if means being left behind. After all, I did promise him that I would follow him all over the globe.
It is my hope that on this day you, the military spouse, feel honored and appreciated. Some days can feel as though this isn’t the case but not today! Today is for you. Go do something for you whether it is a pedicure or a much needed night out with friends. Happy Military Spouse Appreciation Day to every spouse in every branch of service!!